Apparently, the head is not the only part of our body that can wear a crown. Our teeth may eventually need crowns, too. Known as a dental crown, this tooth-shaped “cap” is designed to be placed over a tooth that has either been distorted or damaged due to certain conditions. This procedure is done in order to restore the strength, function, and appearance of the affected tooth.
Why Get a Dental Crown?
There are various situations in which a dental crown may be needed. Its functions include:
- Protecting a tooth that has been weakened by decay and preventing it from breaking apart.
- Restoring a tooth that has already been broken or severely worn down due to harsh conditions.
- Serving as a support or cover to a tooth that has a large filling.
- Holding a dental bridge in its proper place.
- Covering a dental implant for aesthetic purposes.
- Serving as a cover to teeth that are severely discolored or misshapen.
- Protecting the primary teeth of a child who is at high risk for acquiring tooth decay, especially when proper oral hygiene is not practiced.
Dental Crowns in Milwaukee
There are a lot of other benefits a dental crown can offer. For more information about dental crowns, you may call us today at 414-377-5711 to book an appointment with our dental experts!