You probably don’t put much thought into your teeth and gums – until there is a problem. You know you should brush, floss, and visit your dentist regularly to prevent issues, but there are a few other things you may want to know about your teeth so that you can keep them in the best shape possible!
A few dental health facts
These 5 facts can prevent problems with your teeth:
1. Medication can affect your teeth. One important way that medication can affect teeth is by reducing the amount of saliva you have in your mouth. Saliva helps to clean debris off of your teeth. Too little saliva can lead to cavities because this makes it difficult to keep teeth clean. Let your dentist know about any new medications you are on, and talk to your doctor if you think they may be causing problems.
2. It is possible to be allergic to toothpaste. Toothpaste is something you have probably been using for decades, so you may not even realize the problems it can cause. If you have noticed a burning sensation on the insides of your cheeks or tissue within the mouth that seems to be “peeling” off, it may just be your toothpaste. Talk to your dentist, or try a natural toothpaste.
3. Brushing hard doesn’t mean you are brushing well. Some people think that the harder they brush their teeth, the better. However, brushing too hard can actually cause pain and bleeding gums (which is never a good thing). Brush gently and thoroughly.
4. Fruit juice may be a healthy choice for the body, but not for the teeth. Fruit juice can damage the enamel on your teeth – if you are having problems with your teeth, you might want to stick with drinking water instead.
5. You should always take good care of your teeth. Brushing, flossing, and visiting your dentist really does make a difference and it doesn’t really take much time out of your day!
Another dental fact you should know is that your dentist is always there to help you keep your teeth their healthiest! Make an appointment today with Hampton Dental Associates in Milwaukee at (414) 464-9021!