Its Time To “Spring Clean”
- Posted on: Mar 30 2016
With the winds of winter almost gone, it’s time to think about spring cleaning – your car, your wardrobe, your house – and your dental “tool cabinet.” Here are five tips to help you do just that:
- Flossing is sadly neglected by many but dedicated flossers swear by it. You can’t get at the tiny bits of debris between your teeth by brushing alone. Dental floss comes in different widths and thicknesses…it even comes flavored. There is a floss for every type of teeth. There just isn’t a substitute for flossing. Make it a habit and you’ll notice fresher breath and cleaner teeth.
- Get a new toothbrush…especially if you had a cold or flu last season. Your toothbrush harbors germs. Period. It’s bristles also wear out and aren’t as good at cleaning your teeth as they were when they were new. It is a good idea to replace your toothbrush every three months…and more often if you get sick. Invest in a quality, soft brush that isn’t harsh on your tender gum tissue.
- Squish the last bit of toothpaste out of the tube and then get a fresh, new tube of cavity-fighting, fluoride toothpaste. It’s a fact that cavities can easily form in your mouth because of the germs and plaque left behind by food. But cavities stand less of a chance of forming if you brush twice daily with a fluoride toothpaste.
- Try a tongue scraper. That sticky feeling in your mouth when you wake comes in large part from your tongue which has been hanging-out and collecting germs while you sleep. First thing in the morning, scrape your tongue with a tongue scraper and rinse your mouth with warm water.
- Alcohol doesn’t belong in mouthwash but many have it as an ingredient. The truth is, harmful bacteria love alcohol…it’s a form of sugar. So, switch to a mouthwash that is alcohol-free.
Speaking of “spring cleaning,” when was the last time you scheduled a professional cleaning for your teeth? If it’s been so long you can’t remember, call and book an appointment, today: 414-464-9021.
Posted in: General Dentistry