Porcelain veneers are a great way to fix imperfections in your teeth and they have many benefits – but you also have to make sure that you take care of them so that they will last for a very long time and keep looking good. They don’t require special care, but there are a few things you should know to keep your veneers looking their best!
What are the benefits of porcelain veneers?
Porcelain veneers can be used for a variety of problems: they can help to cover teeth that are so stained that whitening treatments don’t help; they can help teeth that are chipped, cracked, or otherwise damaged; and they can help to correct crooked teeth.
The material they are made of is tough, durable, and long lasting, but so thin you will quickly forget you even have veneers. Porcelain is also aesthetically pleasing. They look a lot like natural teeth, so it is possible no one will even realize you have them. After getting your porcelain veneers, you can go right from the dentist’s office back to your regular activities.
However, they do require a bit of maintenance. Make sure you:
• Limit certain foods and drinks, such as red wine, tea, coffee, and foods like blueberries and tomato sauce. Although porcelain veneers are resistant to staining, years of eating certain foods can lead to stains on your veneers.
• Don’t smoke or chew tobacco, which can also stain teeth.
• Watch how much alcohol you drink, as this can degrade veneers.
• Avoid chewing on hard objects, such as pens, which can damage veneers.
• Avoid hard foods, such as hard candy, fruit pits, and ice, and sticky foods.
• Keep up with good oral hygiene habits. Eat a healthy diet, brush twice a day, floss at least once a day, and see your dentist at least twice a year.
• Wear a nightguard if you grind your teeth at night, to protect your veneers.
Porcelain veneers are really quite amazing little things – they can correct imperfections while looking and feeling completely natural. If you are interested in porcelain veneers, make an appointment for a consultation with Hampton Dental Associates in Milwaukee. Call (414) 464-9021 today!